The Minister for Primary Industries has earmarked $200,000 to help Bay of Plenty Farmers with recovery following the April floods and storms caused by ex-Cyclones Debbie and Cook.
Primary producers in the area can apply for grants of between $2000 and $10,000 per farming business to help towards costs that primary producers have incurred as a result of the storms. Applications will be administered by the Whakatāne District Council against criteria set by the Government.
Who can apply for a grant
You may apply if you are a farmer or grower who:
- Is based in the Bay of Plenty
- Has uninsurable infrastructure loss and clean-up costs as a result of the April storms
- Derives your principal income (at least 51% of household income) from primary industry. In this case, we mean the primary production of meat, wool, dairy products, arable farming, aquaculture, horticulture, viticulture, forestry, sharemilking, an orchard, apiculture, herb or flower growing, a market garden and poultry farming (not hobby or lifestyle farming)
What the grant covers
The grant can contribute to your work restoring the physical integrity of your primary sector business. Any funding given must be used for its intended purpose.
It does not cover any income loss for your business.
Eligible works under the grant include uninsurable damage sustained during these events and associated with:
- Re-establishment of uninsurable pasture (on cultivatable land) and crops
- Clean-up of silt and debris (where uninsurable), where the work needed to be done as a matter of urgency following the storms. For example, where vines needed to be cleared so as not to rot from water damage. You cannot claim for support from Enhanced Taskforce Green or from volunteers who didn’t incur costs to you.
How to apply
You can submit your grant application and supporting information in either hard copy, electronic form, or a mixture of both.
Download the form at https://www.whakatane.govt.nz/apply/flood-recovery-grant and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or print it out and send a hard copy to:
Bay of Plenty Primary Sector Recovery Grant care of Whakatāne District Council
Private Bag 1002
When submitting your application, please provide:
- Your completed application form
- Invoices, quotes and/or budgets for the eligible works for the requested grant. Work does not have to have been carried out before applying for the grant
- Any other supporting information, such as a map verifying area to be re-grassed, photos of inundation, independent verification of land inundated (if available)
Please submit your application fully completed and within the timeframe to be assessed.
Fully completed applications that meet the eligibility criteria will be assessed by a Technical Panel, who make recommendations to the Assessment Panel. The Assessment Panel will make the final grant decision and let you know the outcome.
If you would like some assistance in completing the application or providing the supporting financial information, please contact your financial advisor or your local Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP).