The NIWA drought index measures dry conditions across the country. Their hotspot watch helps identify areas that are getting dry each week.
Like all adverse events, a drought is classified as either localised, medium-scale or large-scale.
Actions to take early in hot dry conditions
- Keep an eye on climate predictions and soil moisture levels
- Talk to your advisors, seek advice, ask for help if you need it
- Make a plan and set dates to implement decisions
- Make decisions early and take action
- Use water efficiently and plan for water restrictions
- Look after your animals and regularly monitor their condition.
This document will give you some tips and tricks for mitigating the dry hot summer conditions.