Ex-Cyclone Donna is bringing heavy rain. Keep an eye on the forecast and, if you are prone to flooding, enact your plans. Whakatane, Rangitaiki, and Tarawera Rivers have reached level 1 and farmers are encouraged to move stock to higher ground.
MPI is working with local stakeholders to monitor the impacts of Ex-Cyclone Donna as the storm hits New Zealand. Farmers and smallholding owners are encouraged to follow their procedures in case of possible flooding on aready saturated ground.
If a flood is likely:
The safety of you, your family, and workers comes first. If your property is at risk from flooding, enact your plans:
- Moving stock and feed to higher ground
- Making sure your stock has shelter and water, and can't wander
- Safely storing or tying down anything that might blow away.
- Your battery-powered radio at the ready and listening for updates
- Your smartphone charged up
- Checking power and phones. Reporting outages. Treating all lines as live.
- Checking dogs, poultry and pets.
- Checking on neighbours - do they need help or can they help you?
- Using generators if necessary to keep pumps, refrigeration, electric fences and household appliances running. Flood pumps may need attention.
General information on managing through flooding is here: http://www.getthru.govt.nz/disasters/flood