Monday, June 17, 2019
Before snow hits
- Keep an eye on climate predictions and talk to your neighbours.
- Plan how you will deal with no power (no electric fences, pumps, milking, refrigeration, hot water, cook or heating). If necessary, source a generator.
- Stockpile what you might need for home and farm to minimise travel:
- Surplus feed
- Food and alternative means of cooking and heating for your home
- Emergency kit.
- Have a battery-powered radio.
- Have a smartphone, and know how to use it and how to charge it up in the car
- If you need to travel any distance, make sure you are well-equipped for the cold and let someone know where you are and when to expect you back.
- Have a flexible feed plan underway for stock.
- If you know it’s coming, move stock to sheltered paddocks, especially young stock, to reduce exposure.
- Make sure stock can access food and water, and you can access them.
as at 27 May
Monday, May 27, 2019