Before severe rain
· Keep an eye on weather reports and enact your plans for moving stock and supplementary feed to higher ground if needed.
· Clear gutters and drains where possible
· Have to hand a smartphone, a charger for the car, a torch, and a battery-powered radio
· Check your insurance cover details
During a flood or storm
· Keep an eye on https://www.civildefence.govt.nz/ and your regional council websites/facebook or radio station
· The safety of you, your family, and workers comes first.
· Move stock to safety, shelter and water and make sure they can't wander. Are the electric fences working?
· Turn off utilities if told to do so by authorities as it can help prevent damage to your home or community. Unplug small appliances to avoid damage from power surges.
· Do not attempt to drive or walk through floodwaters unless essential.
· Check power and phones. Report outages.
· Check dogs, poultry and pets.
· Check on neighbours - do they need help or can they help you?
· Check buildings at risk, feed stacks. · Use generators if necessary to keep pumps, refrigeration, electric fences and household appliances running. Flood pumps may need attention.
MPI Animal welfare